Wednesday, October 16, 2013

It's a Paleo Hanukkah

There's nothing like crisp fall air and apple picking to get you in the mood for holidays. Though Hanukkah isn't for another month and a half, I got a head start on putting together fun ideas for a Paleo Hanukkah feast! When I think of most holidays spent with my family, whether they were my fathers Jewish side or mothers Christian side, food is ALWAYS bringing us together. My favorite jewish dish is slow cooked brisket. I'm talking fall apart, who needs a knife, brisket. Since I had fresh apples why not make a nice home made apple sauce. To tie the meal together I felt the obvious choice would be some sweet and savory sweet potato latkes.

Recipe: Paleo Hanukkah Brisket 

4 lbs Beef Brisket (not corned) - should have a decent amount of fat at top 
2 Sweet Yellow Onions (thin Sliced)
5 cloves minced garlic
2 Tbsp Paleo Ketchup (tomato paste + red wine vinegar salt/pepper)
1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper


Place onions in bottom of slow cooker. Add the brisket (fat side up) on top of onions. Rub garlic on top of the brisket. Combine ketchup, vinegar, and maple syrup in small bowl and then rub into beef. Add enough water to coat the bottom of the cooker. Cover crockpot and cook on Low 8-10 hours. The meat literally falls apart and melts in your mouth ughhh! 


Paleo Brisket

Once its done I took the broth and used arrow root to make the gravy. The steps were taking a sauce pan add 2 Tbsp Grass-fed butter melted and then added arrow root -- enough to make a roux. Once it was golden brown i started adding the leftover broth from the crock pot until it was the consistency I wanted. I added some salt pepper and rosemary to finish it. 

Recipe: Paleo Sweet Potato Latkes
2 cups shredded sweet potato
1/2 onion minced
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp coconut flour
2 eggs
Coconut oil and Grassfed butter
*Note:* If you're not prepping a kosher meal, you could totally use bacon fat..but in this case it would be sacrilegious :)
In a medium/large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients until slightly moist but able to hold together.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat coconut oil and butter. Depending on how large you would like your latkes (I made 6 with this recipe) scoop them and put it on the pan. I squished it down a bit to make sure that it formed the pancake. Let it brown before flipping about 5 minutes per side. If you have thicker latkes, make sure you cook them for longer otherwise you may end up with raw sweet potato in the middle. 



Recipe: Homemade Apple sauce

4 Apples
Dash salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp grassfed butter or coconut oil (optional)

After peeling and coring the apples, I chopped them up into 1.5 (ish) inch cubes. In a sauce pan I put some grassfed butter on low heat and added the chopped apples. After covering I left the apples (stirring occasionally) for the next 10-15 minutes. As the apples begin to get soft I raised the heat slightly and recovered them. After another 5 minutes the apples were just mushy and perfect. I added a pinch of salt and cinnamon and poured into a dish. It tasted like heaven! Nothing like home made applesauce!


Once everything was finished I couldn't wait to devour it. I decided to take the meal outside and enjoy it on the front porch. Whether it's great friends or family, theres not doubt that meals like these bring us all together!







No comments: