Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Paleo Pumpkin Pie Parfait

The other night I went out to dinner to enjoy some sea food! As I always do when I get the menu, I go right to the dessert page on the back page to see what they have to offer. I don't know why I enjoy torturing myself! Anyway, I saw a picture of their limited time "Pumpkin pie in a Jar". It looked delicious! At that point my brain started racing as to how many different ways I could make it! I had an idea for a paleo version, and a primal version. The first thing I did was run to the grocery store to pick up my ingredients and went home to make this "Pumpkin Pie in a Jar".

Recipe: Paleo Pumpkin Pie Parfait
Ingredients
1 can pumpkin puree
3 can full fat coconut (2 in the fridge overnight)
Pumpkin Pie Spice (or cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger)
Maple Syrup
Salt
1 c Almond Flour

For the "Crust"
Put the almond flour in a pan to toast the almonds. Once they begin turning golden brown I added a tablespoon of maple syrup to sweeten it and give it a more sticky texture. Then I pressed it into the bottom of my serving bowl. I kept a little left over to sprinkle over the top.

For the Pumpkin Mousse
In a food processor, take can of pumpkin puree, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1-2 tbsp of Pumpkin pie spice mixture (depending on your taste..I added extra cinnamon) and the fat from 1 can of the full fat coconut milk, and add 1/2 cup of the non-refrigerated can of full fat coconut milk, and a dash of salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. If you would like it to be thicker you could always add avocado to it, but I felt the texture was perfect the way it was.

For the "Whipped Cream"
Using a blender or just a whisk, take the fat from the other can of refrigerated full fat coconut milk and 1/4 cup maple syrup (add more if you desire it to be more sweet). I added a little pumpkin pie spice to this as well. Put in the refrigerator to chill until you're ready to assemble.

Assembly: 
I chose to put the 'crust' at the bottom, pumpkin mousse in the middle and top it with whipped cream, then sprinkled some of the leftover crust and some cinnamon on the top. Though if you would like you could always do multiple layers!! It tasted great and was a wonderful dessert that was quick to prepare!

If you're more primal than paleo you could also replace the full fat coconut with GrassFed Heavy Cream. Either way...it tastes great!

Paleo Pumpkin Pie Parfait


-Kim 

No comments: