Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Paleo Crust..Primal Pizza

Prior to the paleo/primal lifestyle my Friday nights typically consisted of a nice large cheese pizza split with family and friends. In addition to the weekend night staple, it's been a family tradition that my dad continued with our family: When you receive your first pay check at a new job...you buy the pizza! I always thought that tradition was fun and since I was 15 bought pizza for friends and/or family to celebrate my first pay check at a new job. This past Friday I was in that scenario.. However, instead of having a cheat night, I bought all the ingredients to make a perfect paleo/primal pizza. The crust made from a mix of almond flour and arrow root starch held my toppings perfectly! I have made the cauliflower crust in the past, and though it was good, the process took much longer and the outcome is iffy and totally dependent on how well you can remove the water from the steamed cauliflower. This paleo crust was really simple and easy and came out better than I had hoped!

Paleo Pizza Crust
Recipe: Paleo Pizza Crust
2 cups Almond Flour
1 cup arrowroot powder
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp oregano
1.5 tsp rosemary
2 tbsp garlic powder
pepper to taste
3 eggs
1/2 cup almond milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease pan (round or square depending on shape you'd like or have) Combine all the try ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix together -- make sure to break up all clumps (my almond flour always has a few clumps in it.) Add your eggs and almond milk to the dry mix and whisk together until fully blended. Just an FYI this will be the consistency of a thick batter. Pour this on to your greased pan and spread with spoon or spatula to get the shape you want. I used a cookie sheet and didn't quite get it to the edges so that I could have a slightly thicker crust.  Bake in the oven for around 10 minutes. Note that the thicker the crust the more time you'll need to bake so depending on your desired crust thickness will be your cooking time.

After your crust is done you can add your desired pizza toppings and put back in the oven for 10-15 min. I personally decided to go the primal route and add some mozzarella cheese to my pizza along with some home made marinara, onions, and pepperoni. If I thought ahead a little more I would've probably added some peppers and sausage to this! Yum!
  

No comments: