Thursday, November 21, 2013

Perfect Paleo Meatball

What a busy couple of weeks it's been! I can't believe how fast October and November have flown by. Something about the dark freezing weather has got me craving Spaghetti and Meatballs, nothing like comfort food to warm the body up! Funny fact: I used to hate spaghetti with red sauce. I always asked my mom to put butter or alfredo on it when I was a kid. I don't know when that started to change but between high-school and college I started really enjoying a good home made Italian tomato sauce. So now with my healthy changes I switch to spaghetti squash instead of pasta and can still have my home made sauce and meatballs.

Meatballs have always been a tough one for me. I always tend to dry them out, or they don't taste fluffy enough. I read somewhere once that shredded carrots make it very juicy, so with that in mind I started coming up with a recipe that turned out to be the best meatballs I've ever made.

Recipe: Paleo Meatballs
1.5-2lb of ground beef (I got 85/15%)
1lb of ground italian sausage
1 carrot (shredded)
1 vidalia onion
Fresh Basil
1/2 c almond flour
2 eggs
3 cloves garlic
salt/pepper

Directions:In the food processor, I put a quartered onion, shredded carrot, garlic and handful of basil and blend until it was almost soup like. In a large bowl I add both the ground beef and italian sausage and start to incorporate it. To that I add the pureed onion/carrot/basil mixture, 2 eggs, salt and pepper. Once fully incorporated I added the almond flour mixed it in. Then I formed a bunch of golf ball sized meatballs! I decided to brown them first in a pan lightly seasoned with olive oil and then bake them in a pan for 25 min at 400 degrees. I put a little water at the bottom of the pan. I've hear a little wine could also enhance the flavor but I didn't have any. I finished them off by letting them sit in the sauce for another 10 minutes.

Served it on top of roasted spaghetti squash and some home made italian tomato sauce.




No comments: